To begin with on PrEP, confer with your regular physician or nursing assistant, or search for A health that is sexual Clinic. There are also other clinics offering PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC Health Map.
Is PrEP right for me?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative people that are willing to just take an everyday pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Try not to always utilize condoms during intercourse
- Recently had a sexually transmitted disease (sti)
- Do have more than one intimate partner
- Have partner who’s got intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner that has HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Are attempting to conceive having a partner who may have HIV
- Have partner whom will not obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for cash, medications or perhaps destination to remain
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
The medicines in PrEP stop the virus from spreading throughout your body, preventing an HIV infection if you are exposed to HIV. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are the exact same medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Exactly what are the negative effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with individuals with HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any negative effects. For people who do, probably the most common unwanted effects are sickness, upset belly, exhaustion and headaches. These signs usually have better or go away in the very first thirty days of using PrEP. Rare unwanted effects include bone or kidney problems. Your medical professional or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any relative unwanted effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who use the supplement at the least four days per week. Your HIV risk is a lot reduced invest the PrEP everyday.
Since PrEP ended up being introduced in 2012, this has assisted reduce brand brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We simply take PrEP, do We still need to make use of condoms?
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for individuals who don’t use condoms each time they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
Just how do I take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a capsule as soon as a day, also on times you don’t have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is recommended with a nurse or doctor.
- That you do not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthy before you start PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test you to make sure.
- When you are on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 90 days for HIV as well as minimum every 6 months for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever using PrEP, see an individual’s help Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it simply take for PrEP to the office?
Studies declare that you will need to just take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides maximum security when you may be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It’s not yet understood what amount of times you ought to simply simply just take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How do I purchase PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. You can easily enlist as a low-cost insurance coverage by calling 311.
Find out more about your re Payment alternatives for PrEP (PDF).
Could I get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not impact your capability to have PrEP. You can easily properly consult with staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may impact your choices for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
If i will be included in my parents’ insurance coverage, will they be notified that i’m on PrEP?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization is not needed to start out PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital would be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can assist you with this specific procedure.
exactly How else may I remain HIV-negative?
- Learn about crisis PEP. If you should be maybe not taking PrEP and think you’re recently confronted with HIV, go straight away to your medical professional or a crisis space and have for PEP, a crisis medicine that will avoid HIV. You may phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be acquired 24/7.
- Utilize condoms normally as you are able to. Get the size and kind of condom you want. Condoms are around for free in most five boroughs. To get our where you could obtain a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, particularly during anal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the way that is only understand in the event that you or perhaps a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluating. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the final time they had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to obtain HIV care and simply simply take their medicines every time, so that they remain healthy and don’t pass HIV to other people.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you’ve got intercourse. Getting or drinking high when you yourself have intercourse causes it to be difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For assistance to prevent using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have actually genital intercourse must be particularly careful to simply just just take PrEP each day to keep enough medicine in their vaginal muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with ladies and whom can be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally take advantage of PrEP.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not restrict hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you nevertheless have to utilize birth prevention or condoms to avoid pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There isn’t any proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known degrees of hormones within you. Studies have discovered that transgender women that simply just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
May I just simply simply take PrEP while looking to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who are attempting to conceive a young child with A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the mom and son or daughter both during and after maternity, and it has perhaps perhaps perhaps not been proven to influence fertility.
If you’d like to just take PrEP while wanting to conceive, consult with your medical professional. You may have to consult a professional find more for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP because of this.